I love risotto, it's one of those dishes that I love because it tastes so good, and you can make it a hundred different ways without needing a recipe. I remember once when I was probably around 13 I wanted to try to make risotto, well I did and I failed miserably! Not even my mom could pretend to like it and my dad (well my step-dad but I will refer to him as dad since he raised me) just complained that I better like it because I made him buy me a box of expensive rice, that was very hard for him to find. This stuck with me and I never tried to make risotto again. Okay obviously I did, but it took me a whole decade to try again!
My favorite way to make risotto is with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms, yum! But you can make this a million different ways with any of your favorite stocks or broths, vegetables, meats, herbs, cheeses, customize it till you find your perfect risotto. After you make it once, you won't need a recipe. so at the bottom of this recipe is a recipe-free version. I realize that sounds like it makes no sense at all.
The following serves six.
Ingredients:
5 cups chicken broth/stock
2 Tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
1/3 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 pound mushrooms, roasted
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1/3 cup asiago cheese
1/3 cup cream or milk
dried italian herbs, or chopped fresh herbs such as basil, chives, or parsley.
Directions:
In a saucepan heat the chicken broth over medium low.
In large skillet melt some butter over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes then add in the rice. Let the rice toast up for about 3 minutes then add in the wine.
Once the wine is absorbed by the rice, stir in about one cup of chicken stock.
Once the stock has been absorbed by the rice stir in some more stock, about a ladle full at a time until mostof the liquid is absorbed by the rice. Repeat this process until the rice is cooked but still has a bite to it. This should take about 20-30 minutes. (taste the rice to tell when it is al dente, because you may need more or less chicken stock)
This is where you want to add in any cooked vegetables or protein as well as a last ladle of stock and your cheese.
I like to add in either sauteed or roasted mushrooms and chopped sundried tomatoes as well as about 1/3 cup of milk or cream and an extra ladle of stock. Yes, I realize milk/cream is not necessary but I do it anyways. =)
I also like to stir in some fresh or dried herbs at the end as well as salt and pepper.
Recipe-Free risotto
Here's the thing too, you can make this any way you want with whatever ingredients you have on hand for any amount of people, you will know its done when it is as al dente as you like it. so here's the recipe-free recipe for risotto:
1. Sweat chopped onions and garlic in melted butter.
2. Add as much rice for the amount of people you are feeding and let it toast for a couple minutes.
3. Stir in some white wine, if you'd like and let it cook until mostly absorbed.
4. Add in broth or stock of your choice a ladle at a time until it is mostly absorbed by the rice, repeat until the rice is cooked to your liking.
5. Add in any cooked vegetables or protein or herbs if you'd like, as well any type of cheese or cream and a ladle of stock. Stir and enjoy.
I promise you cannot mess up risotto. You have to stir it often but I promise you do not have to constantly stir without stopping for even one second.
To make my mushrooms I like to roast them at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes with a little olive oil and some thyme or rosemary. If I saute them I add them into a saucepan with a pat of butter and a teaspoon of soy sauce and cook them over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment